MOHEGAN LAKE, N.Y. - An unattended menorah sparked a fire that was visible through the first-floor windows of a Cortlandt Manor home, said Lake Mohegan Fire Department personnel.
"Nobody was home at the time," at about 6:15 p.m., at 14 Puckey Drive, said Lake Mohegan Fire Department Chief Brian Wolert. After members of the department arrived and broke down the door of the home, "We saw that there was a menorah on the table, burning," he said.
The fire was extinguished with a water can. Wolert said his department often sees fires started by candles during the holidays and reminds everyone that candles should never be left unattended.
"If you get an electric [menorah] and screw the bulbs in each night, it's much safer than candles. And never leave them lit when you leave the house," said Wolert.
The fire department was called by an automatic alarm.
Wolert said the single-family home was ventilated, and that by 7 p.m., the occupant had arrived at the residence.
- 1 Three Youths Charged With Ransacking Hudson Valley Islamic Center
- 2 Police: Drugs, Alcohol May Have Been Involved In Verplanck Woman's Death
- 3 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 4 Cortlandt Mother Says Westchester County Jail Neglected Sick Son
- 5 Ossining Man Indicted For Selling Drugs In Cortlandt