MONTROSE, N.Y. ‒ A house fire at 4 Lent Ave. across the street from the home of an assistant Montrose fire chief forced three residents to evacuate early Tuesday morning, according to the Montrose Fire Department.
"I'm just glad everybody got out safe, especially a 12:30 at night, that's a critical hour," said Second Assistant Chief Rob Porter, who said he lives "directly across the street" from the home and helped evacuate the occupants.
Porter said that by the time he came out of his house and saw the fire "there was heavy fire on the left side of the house." He said it's still unclear if the smoke alarms were working in the house.
The fire was under control in approximately 20 minutes, Porter said, and mutual aid was provided by the Croton Fire Department, Verplanck Fire Department, Buchanan Fire Department and Cortlandt Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Porter said the electrical fire began in a laundry room.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Cortlandt
- 3 Knife-Wielding Lake Man Threatens Good Samaritan In Cortlandt, Police Say
- 4 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 5 Ambush-Style Killings Of NYPD Officers Spark Outrage In Westchester