MONTROSE, N.Y. - A pedestrian was hit by a car and killed Friday evening on Route 9A near Laurel Road in Montrose, reported the New York State Police.
Alexei Richard, 38, of Cortlandt, was walking in the southbound lane of Albany Post Road, near Laurel Road, at about 8:10 p.m., when he was struck by a black, four-door Chrysler sedan, police said. The car was driven by a man traveling with his wife, police said.
Richard was pronounced dead at Westchester Medical Center after being transported there to be treated for his injuries, police said. Richard died of severe head injuries, police said.
The name of the driver is not being released at this time. The accident still is being investigated, and it's unclear if charges will be filed against the driver, police said. Police said the case could be ruled a "pedestrian error" because Richard was walking in the road. Neither the driver nor his passenger was injured in the accident.
It's unclear where Richard was coming from or what his destination was, police said.
The road was blocked for nearly two and a half hours, police said. Montrose Fire Department and the Cortlandt Volunteer Ambulance Corps also responded to the scene.
- 1 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition
- 2 Search Is On For Kayaker Who Went Missing In Hudson River
- 3 Police Investigate Assault With Baseball Bat In Yorktown
- 4 Indian Point Security Drills Will Include Sounds Of Gunfire
- 5 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Cortlandt