Contact Us
Cortlandt Daily Voice serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton
Return to your home site

Menu

Cortlandt Daily Voice serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Firefighters Respond To Report Of Sparks, Popping Sounds, Smoke In Croton

Croton firefighters were called to a private residence Thursday morning after the owner reported hearing popping sounds and seeing smoke in his basement. The smoke turned out to be steam from a malfunctioning boiler.
Croton firefighters were called to a private residence Thursday morning after the owner reported hearing popping sounds and seeing smoke in his basement. The smoke turned out to be steam from a malfunctioning boiler. Photo Credit: Croton Fire Department/Facebook

CROTON-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. -- Croton firefighters were summoned to a home on Lark Lane early Thursday after the owner reported sparks, popping sounds and smoke in his basement.

Washington Engine Company No. 2 crews arrived shortly after 6:30 a.m. and found that a malfunctioning boiler had caused steam to pour into the basement, fire officials said.

The boiler was turned off and a fan was used to vent the steam, fire officials said.

The house was checked for hazards but none were found, according to fire officials.

The scene was cleared by 7 a.m., firefighters said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Cortlandt Daily Voice!

Serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Cortlandt Daily Voice!

Serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.