MONTROSE, N.Y. -- Concerns over a potential gas leak at Hendrick Hudson High School that caused an evacuation this morning have been dropped, according to the district.
Hendrick Hudson Superintendent of Schools Brian Monahan said the high school was evacuated Thursday morning as a precautionary action when gas odor was detected by some staff members.
Students and faculty were moved to the far end of the athletic fields while Con Edison employees and local fire departments inspected the school, Monahan said. Parents were updated on the situation several times via district email alerts.
"In light of recent events its always good to err on the side of caution," Monahan said. "And our safety team did a great job, they knew exactly what to do."
While no leak was detected at the high school, an unrelated gas line issue was found at the adjacent Frank J. Lindsey Elementary School that was being attended to by Con Edison Thursday afternoon. The elementary school did not need to be evacuated, however.
"They felt a repair needed to be made but they said there was no danger," Monahan said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.