OSSINING, N.Y. -- Ossining's Jamie Loeb made the best of her opportunity as a wild card selection to the main draw of the 2012 U.S. Open Tennis Juniors Championship by winning her first-round match Tuesday against Egypt's Mayar Sherif and advancing to Round 2.
Loeb, who will face Mexico's Marcela Zacarias in Round 2 on Thursday at the Bille Jean King Tennis Center in Queens, N.Y.; after the match was postponed Wednesday due to rain, overcame a long second set to defeat Sherif 6-2, 6-7 (7-1 tiebreaker) and 6-0 in a strong finish.
"Yes, it was a great match and I felt I played very well throughout the match even though I lost a close second set," the 17-year-old tennis star said. "I play doubles indoors at Sound Shore and my partner and I lost 13-11 in the third set super tiebreaker (Thursday). I didn't play today due to rain, but I'm scheduled to play tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it."
Loeb, who lost a play-in match at last year's U.S. Open Junior event, earned her first two professional victories earlier this year, doubling as a singles and doubles champion at the Sargent & Collins LLP Women’s $10,000 Championship in Buffalo, N. Y., in July.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Cortlandt, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 18 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Cortlandt; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 Cortlandt Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester
- 4 Accidents Reported On Taconic State Parkway, Bear Mountain Bridge Road
- 5 Storm System Departs Cortlandt, Snow Could Return Thursday