OSSINING, N.Y. -- Ossining's Jamie Loeb made the best of her opportunity as a wild card selection to the main draw of the 2012 U.S. Open Tennis Juniors Championship by winning her first-round match Tuesday against Egypt's Mayar Sherif and advancing to Round 2.
Loeb, who will face Mexico's Marcela Zacarias in Round 2 on Thursday at the Bille Jean King Tennis Center in Queens, N.Y.; after the match was postponed Wednesday due to rain, overcame a long second set to defeat Sherif 6-2, 6-7 (7-1 tiebreaker) and 6-0 in a strong finish.
"Yes, it was a great match and I felt I played very well throughout the match even though I lost a close second set," the 17-year-old tennis star said. "I play doubles indoors at Sound Shore and my partner and I lost 13-11 in the third set super tiebreaker (Thursday). I didn't play today due to rain, but I'm scheduled to play tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it."
Loeb, who lost a play-in match at last year's U.S. Open Junior event, earned her first two professional victories earlier this year, doubling as a singles and doubles champion at the Sargent & Collins LLP Women’s $10,000 Championship in Buffalo, N. Y., in July.
- 1 Police Seek Public's Help In Search For Missing Man In Yorktown
- 2 Police Investigating After Man's Body Is Found In Peekskill Creek
- 3 Two Charged With Stealing Power Tools At Cortlandt Home Depot
- 4 Westchester Residents Warned About New Massive IRS Phone Scam
- 5 Community Remains On High Alert After Signs Of Bear In Croton Heights