CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. – John Orozco, who is headed for the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games later this month after qualifying Saturday for one of the two top spots at the U.S. Olympic Trials in San Jose, Calif., trained at World Cup Gymnastics in Chappaqua through high school.
Orozco, 19, the current U.S. Men's Gymnastic Champion, lives in the Bronx and currently trains at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Born in New York to William and Damaris Orozco, his father worked for the New York City Department of Sanitation until he was forced to retire after an illness. Orozco's mother, a homemaker, drove her son to and from the Bronx to World Cup Gymnastics in Chappaqua while he was growing up.
Orozco began gymnastics at the age of eight when his father found a flyer for free gymnastics lessons at a gym in Manhattan. The gym allowed him to be part of a program for children who could not otherwise afford lessons.
Orozco and his family were featured Saturday on a broadcast of the U.S. Gymnastic Trials. The U.S. Olympic Gymnastic Olympic Trials are being televised on NBC-TV Saturday and Sunday.
- 1 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 2 Cortlandt Police Charge Suspect In Fraud Case After Facebook Tip
- 3 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Schools Superintendent's Stepson
- 4 Woman Charged With DWI After Accident In Cortlandt
- 5 Two Charged With Burglary At Cortlandt Elementary School