CROTON-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. -- The Croton Holy Name of Mary eighth-grade girls travel basketball team capped off a tremendous season and career in the Catholic Youth Organization, topping Immaculate Heart of Mary of Scarsdale in the championship game, 50-37.
The Holy Name eighth-graders, who had been together as a team since third-grade, capped off the season with an 11-1 record.
The championship victory avenged Holy Name's lone loss of the season, which had come at the hands of Immaculate Heart.
Holy Name knocked off Annunciation of Crestwood (Yonkers) in the quarterfinals 34-24 and St. Mary's of Cortlandt in the semifinals, 44-35.
"Coach Lori Noel and I are proud of the effort and improvement of this group of young ladies," Holy Name head coach Tony Cirino said in an e-mail. "From the first practice this year Lori and I could tell that the girls were really grasping the concepts of being a team."
The Holy Name of Mary eight grade team includes, pictured above, back row (left to right): Tony Cirino, #20 Jill Walsh, #24 Hannah Kaebnick, #10 Cara Cirino, #23 Charlotte Thornton, #22 Erin Garone, #13 Alexa Toback, and Lori Noel. Front row (left to right): #12 Ryan Noel, #5 Karina Matalavage, #15 Emily Kehoe, #11 Meghan Giordano, and #14 Emily Squire.
- 1 Cortlandt Manor Man Killed In Hit-And-Run Accident
- 2 State Police Warn Cortlandt Residents Of Phone Scam
- 3 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 4 Valhalla Man Recovers After 18-Wheeler's 'Ice Missile' Breaks Windshield
- 5 Head Of Yoga Empire With Westchester Locales Faces Rape Allegation