MOHEGAN LAKE, N.Y. – Students at Van Cortlandtville Elementary School enjoyed the fruits – and vegetables – of their labor recently during the school's annual harvesting of its Edible Educational Garden.
Students planted the crops in the spring, which included onions, peppers, carrots, beans, potatoes and tomatoes. They also planted sunflowers and a variety of other flowers and herbs.
The garden was created through a combination of school and community groups working together, said James VanDevelde, communications director for the Lakeland Central School District. PTA volunteers were on hand to assist in the harvest.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Cortlandt
- 3 Knife-Wielding Lake Man Threatens Good Samaritan In Cortlandt, Police Say
- 4 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 5 Police Chase, Apprehend Robber At Cortlandt Town Center