YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Schools in the Lakeland Central School District are closed Monday and Tuesday and will reopen Wednesday, Nov. 7, an announcement on the district website said Sunday.
Best estimates from the district's towns indicate most power will be restored by Wednesday, so Lakeland is closing its doors for the first two days of the week.
Lakeland still has an estimated 30 to 40 percent of homes and businesses and two of its schools without power as of Sunday afternoon. The district also reports there are approximately 30 inaccessible bus stop locations and at least 17 additional locations with unsafe conditions including low hanging wires and fallen trees.
Many of these locations have been cut off from telephone and Internet, the district said, and storm damage has also cut two-way communications with the district's buses.
The district is ordering staff to report Monday, Nov. 5 and Tuesday, Nov. 6 to Lakeland High School for rescheduled Superintendent's Conference Days. In the revised calendar, the conference day scheduled for Friday, May 24, 2013 will now be a student instructional day.
District officials are in touch with legislators for additional assistance in the school calendar, according to Sunday's announcement.
- 1 Service Dog Stolen From Car In Cortlandt Town Center
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 Credit Card Skimmer Discovery At Area Bank Prompts Concern