NORTH SALEM, N.Y. -- The Farmer & the Fish, a farm-to-table restaurant in North Salem, reopened for lunch Thursday after a chimney fire Wednesday night.
The Croton Falls Fire Department was dispatched to the restaurant, located at 100 Titicus Road, at 9:32 p.m. because of the chimney fire, Fire Chief Jason Blauvelt said.
The crew was able to quickly knock down the fire and then noticed cardboard boxes had ignited in a storage room, Blauvelt said. Firefighters extinguished the fire and left after about 20 minutes. No mutual aid was required and nobody was hurt, Blauvelt said.
Michael Kaphan, who owns Purdy's Farmer & the Fish, praised the firefighters for the job they did.
"These guys are fabulous," Kaphan said. "They are top-notch. We couldn't ask for a better volunteer fire department."
Kaphan was given the OK from the North Salem Building Department and the Westchester County Department of Health to reopen for lunch.
"We've become a meeting place for people in town," Kaphan said. "A lot of people who work at Pepsi come here for lunch. We also have people meeting clients and associates. It's important we are up and running."
Kaphan has been operating the farm-to-table restaurant for two years.
- 1 Three Youths Charged With Ransacking Hudson Valley Islamic Center
- 2 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 3 Westchester Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 4 Cortlandt Mother Says Westchester County Jail Neglected Sick Son
- 5 Former Peekskill Girls Basketball Coach Let Go By College