CROTON-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. -- Croton firefighters were summoned to a home on Lark Lane early Thursday after the owner reported sparks, popping sounds and smoke in his basement.
Washington Engine Company No. 2 crews arrived shortly after 6:30 a.m. and found that a malfunctioning boiler had caused steam to pour into the basement, fire officials said.
The boiler was turned off and a fan was used to vent the steam, fire officials said.
The house was checked for hazards but none were found, according to fire officials.
The scene was cleared by 7 a.m., firefighters said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.