CROTON-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. -- Montrose Fire Department officials say the same lightning storm which created an awesome scene behind Peekskill's fireworks, could have caused an electrical fire in the Amberlands apartment complex in Croton-on-Hudson.
All residents in Amberlands Building 11 were evacuated, just after 10 p.m., no one was injured.
Montrose Fire Chief Ken Gilleo said when fire officials arrived the fire had taken hold inside the ceiling of the ground-floor apartment, and the ceiling of the laundry room. Firefighters followed the interior wall electrical fire into the wall of the second-floor apartment, before bringing the flames under control in about one hour.
Gilleo said residents heard lightning strike outside their apartment, in building 11, before calling fire officials. Gilleo said the fire was ruled accidental and electrical by the Westchester County Cause and Origin Team. Gilleo said the officials suspect that lightning could have started the interior wall fire.
It's unclear how long residents of the first- and second-floor apartments involved in the fire will be displaced because of the smoke, fire and water damage their apartments sustained.
Montrose Fire Department received mutual aid from Verplanck Fire Department, Buchanan Engine Company, Croton Fire Department and the Cortlandt Volunteer Ambulance Corps.