Settings

Home Site
Notification
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Cortlandt Daily Voice serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Menu

Cortlandt Daily Voice serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Case Of Deadly Tick-Borne Virus Reported In Hudson Valley
police & fire

Fire Chief Says Fatal Blaze Caused By Malfuntioning Space Heater

Arlington Fire Chief Tory G. Gallante said the cause of Tuesday's fatal fire in the Town of Poughkeepsie was the failure of a natural gas-fired space heater.
Arlington Fire Chief Tory G. Gallante said the cause of Tuesday's fatal fire in the Town of Poughkeepsie was the failure of a natural gas-fired space heater. Photo Credit: Contributed

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- Tuesday's early morning fire that killed a 75-year-old Polish immigrant was caused by a space heater, Arlington Fire Chief Tory G. Gallante said Wednesday.

The cause of the fatal fire at 31 Durocher Terrace has been determined to be related to the failure of a natural gas fueled space heater, Gallante said.

The investigation continues to be handled by the Arlington Fire District Fire Investigation Division and the Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department.

Steanislaw Soltysiak was identified as the man killed in the fire.

As previously reported, the three-alarm fire started at around 5 a.m. and Soltysiak was found during an interior search through heavy smoke and pronounced dead at the scene.

Soltysiak's wife and son were unsuccessful trying to save him from the blaze as firefighters arrived at the fully-engulfed single-family home.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Cortlandt Daily Voice!

Serves Buchanan, Cortlandt & Croton

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.