CROTON-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. – Three minor emergencies kept the Croton-on-Hudson Fire Department busy on Thursday, April 21.
At 11:16 a.m., firefighters were sent to a Bethea Drive home to investigate a reported furnace odor. No hazard was found and all units were cleared from the scene within 20 minutes.
At 1:23 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to a multi-family building on Grand Street after residents reported smelling gas. The “gas” odor turned out to be pet urine, firefighters said.
At 9:14 p.m., an activated fire alarm bought crews to a house on Newton Court. The alarm had been triggered by a malfunctioning washing machine, firefighters said.
Croton is an all-volunteer department and could always use more help, it said.
Anyone interested in volunteering can email the department at firstname.lastname@example.org. 2.
Firefighters were also reminding the public not to park in front of hydrants.
Firefighters had to contend recently with a van that was blocking a hydrant.
“Don’t be ‘that guy’,” they said.
They were also advising the public to take care when using any outdoor cooking appliance, fire pit, or any other activity that involves flames or sparks.
The warm, dry and windy weather is causing conditions that are extremely favorable for brush fires, they said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.