CORTLANDT, N.Y. -- New York State Police arrested a landlord after he allegedly served eviction notices that had a forged signature of a Cortlandt Town Court judge, police officials said.
Joseph Bene, 66, of Mahopac, attempted to obtain legal eviction notices through the court, but Justice Daniel F. McCarthy denied the request because Bene failed to follow proper procedure, according to State Police.
Bene was accused of forging a document with McCarthy's signature and served it to the tenant, who brought the document to court to verify it's authenticity, police said.
Bene is scheduled to appear in Town of Carmel Justice Court on Tuesday Jan. 28. The case was moved due to conflict of interest, according to State Police.
- 1 Mohegan Lake Man, Pastoral Council VP, Faces Child Porn Charges
- 2 Montrose, Verplanck Affected By Water Main Break
- 3 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 4 Westchester Man Is Killed In NYC Hotel Construction Site Accident
- 5 Nearly One Million Bicycles Are Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed