BUCHANAN, N.Y. – David E. Harding of Buchanan died Feb. 5 in Vero Beach, Fla. He was 85.
Harding was born April 9, 1927, in Dobbs Ferry. He served in the Merchant Marines during World War II and married Eileen Kelly in 1955. He became a state trooper in 1954 and was one of the first state trooper residents to Fisher Island.
He was appointed to the New York State Bureau of Investigation in 1964, assigned to Gov. Nelson Rockefeller detail in 1964. He was then appointed trooper in charge of Gov. Malcolm Wilson detail before retiring in 1979.
Harding was also appointed director of security of Manhattan Savings in New York.
He is survived by many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his wife in 2003.
Visitation is from 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Sunday at Cortlandt Funeral Home in Verplanck. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Christopher's Church in Buchanan. Burial will follow at St. Denis Cemetery in Hopewell Junction.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to a charity supporting cancer research and treatment.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Cortlandt
- 3 Knife-Wielding Lake Man Threatens Good Samaritan In Cortlandt, Police Say
- 4 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 5 Police Chase, Apprehend Robber At Cortlandt Town Center