PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- A 23-year-member of the Peekskill Police Department was found dead in his home on Saturday.
Mayor Frank Catalina announced the death of Chris Vazeos, a Peekskill resident who graduated from Peekskill High School.
"If you've been around Peekskill for 23 years or less, you probably had contact with Chris," Catalina said on his Facebook page. "He was everywhere helping, protecting and saving lives and property. There are no words to soften this blow. Our thoughts and prayers to his loving mother Maria and the rest of his family. Rest in peace my friend."
The Westchester County Office of the Medical Examiner said Vazos, 49, died of a self inflicted gunshot wound in his home at 7 Welcher Ave. according to LoHud.
Police were still investigating the incident.
- 1 Croton Police Gathering Evidence In Lacey Carr Death Probe
- 2 Service Dog Stolen From Car In Cortlandt Town Center Parking Lot
- 3 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 4 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 5 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital