MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. – Mount Vernon has a new millionaire.
Anthony Sawyer, a Mount Vernon resident, is officially a New York Lottery Powerball winner, after being introduced to the masses on Friday at the New York State Lottery’s Customer Service Center in Fishkill.
Sawyer’s was one of four lottery players to receive a ceremonial oversized check at Friday’s ceremony. His victory came from the March 8 Powerball drawing. He received a lump sum that totaled more than $660,000 after taxes and other withholdings.
According to state Lottery officials, the winning ticket was purchased at the Throggs Neck Discount Center in the Bronx, where Sawyer said he plays on Fridays to celebrate pay day.
Sawyer’s winning numbers were 10, 14, 24, 32 and 41 with a Powerball of 30. He didn’t realize he had won the lottery until he casually scanned his ticket at the gas station the next day, only to discover he was a millionaire.
“A million dollars, man, I wish,” Jerome Lewis said in Mount Vernon on Friday. “That’s going to change that man’s life forever. Good to see someone in Mount Vernon succeed.”
In all, approximately $6.5 million was awarded at Friday’s ceremony, with three others claiming more than $1 million each in prizes, led by Gerald Brewer of Greenwood Lake, who won a $3.5 million jackpot in the March 29 drawing.
- 1 Police Seek Public's Help In Search For Missing Man In Yorktown
- 2 Police Investigating After Man's Body Is Found In Peekskill Creek
- 3 Two Charged With Stealing Power Tools At Cortlandt Home Depot
- 4 Westchester Residents Warned About New Massive IRS Phone Scam
- 5 Community Remains On High Alert After Signs Of Bear In Croton Heights