CORTLANDT, N.Y. – The 59-year-old man found dead yesterday morning in a house fire on Spout Brook Road has been identified as James E. Phillips. Smoke ventilation was the cause of death, New York State Police said.
Phillips was the sole occupant of 215 Sprout Brook Road and had rented the property for the last 10 years, according to a neighbor’s account to police. Officials on scene described the fire as “a fully engulfed house fire,” and most of the home was destroyed.
The accidental fire started in a downstairs bedroom. Phillips was found in a downstairs hallway, police said. The fire, which started about 7 a.m. Friday, was under control by 7:30 a.m., with the help of about 75 firefighters from several area departments.
- 1 Croton Man Charged After Crashing Boat Into Verplanck Sea Wall
- 2 Mother Of 6-Year-Old Lacey Carr Of Croton No Longer At Hospital
- 3 Rape Victim From Montrose Details Obstacles She Faced Securing Justice
- 4 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 5 Police Make Second Cortlandt BWI Arrest Over Holiday Weekend