CORTLANDT, N.Y. – The 59-year-old man found dead yesterday morning in a house fire on Spout Brook Road has been identified as James E. Phillips. Smoke ventilation was the cause of death, New York State Police said.
Phillips was the sole occupant of 215 Sprout Brook Road and had rented the property for the last 10 years, according to a neighbor’s account to police. Officials on scene described the fire as “a fully engulfed house fire,” and most of the home was destroyed.
The accidental fire started in a downstairs bedroom. Phillips was found in a downstairs hallway, police said. The fire, which started about 7 a.m. Friday, was under control by 7:30 a.m., with the help of about 75 firefighters from several area departments.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Cortlandt
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Knife-Wielding Man Threatens Good Samaritan In Cortlandt, Police Say
- 5 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Removed From McDonald's Menu In Westchester