CORTLANDT, N.Y. -- A local family has been without a home since an Oct. 17 fire extensively damaged theirs in Cortlandt Manor.
Fortunately, the Addisons, a couple and three children, all made it out of the house OK and without injury, according to the family's GoFundMe .
But the fire that started in and destroyed a kitchen caused extensive structural damage to that part of the house, along with heavy smoke damage to the upper floor, where all the living quarters are
To date, $6,025 has been donated to help them rebuild their lives.
It will be six months before the family can move back into their house. The home's basement, its family room and kids' play space, as well as where the utilities are, suffered water and smoke damage. Their clothing had smoke damage, as well.
The Town of Cortlandt Building Department and local fire department declared the house uninhabitable, according to the GoFundme account of what happened.
The family is staying in a motel, which has no kitchen, and looking for a rental property
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.