OSSINING, N.Y. -- Village employees accidentally caused a gas main break while digging up a hole this morning.
The gas main break, at 7 Madison Avenue in the village, led to the evacuation of 16 families.
Ossining firefighters and officials from Con Edison were on the scene at 9:15 a.m., according to Assistant Chief Matt Scarduzio,
Con Edison shut off the gas which is expected to be restored at the end of the day, Scarduzio said. Scarduzio said firefighters would remain on the scene for another 45 minutes but that Madison Avenue would likely be closed off until the end of the day.
Scarduzio said no injuries were reported.
"This could've been a lot more serious," Scarduzio said.