MONTROSE, N.Y. — Fifth to 10th grade Hendrick Hudson students will gather Friday evening for the 5th Annual Jack McGuire Holiday Basketball Tournament, which is named for and honors a 10-year-old boy who died of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, the most common form of childhood leukemia.
The volunteer-run tournament benefits the Jack McGuire Memorial Scholarship Fund, which annually awards a $3,000 scholarship to a college-bound Hen Hud senior who has overcome an obstacle.
"Jack would have been a 10th-grader this year, so it's really Jack's friends that would have been volunteering to help remember Jack," said Greg Fucheck, director of the scholarship fund. "So, the high school students feel a sense of pride doing it and helping to remember their friend."
The tournament begins at 5 p.m. in the Hendrick Hudson High School Dome. All participants receive a T-shirt and a chance to win New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets tickets in a raffle. A $10 donation is suggested.
Hendrick Hudson High School is located at 2166 Albany Post Road, Montrose.
- 1 Father Of 6-Year-Old Lacey Carr Of Croton Thanks Community For Support
- 2 Croton Ranks High Among Nation’s 100 Best Suburbs
- 3 Hen Hud Graduate Contributes To College Softball Team's Success
- 4 Man Charged With Distributing Crystal Meth As Part Of Westchester Bust
- 5 Airbag Recall Is Largest Ever In Auto History