MONTROSE, N.Y. — Fifth to 10th grade Hendrick Hudson students will gather Friday evening for the 5th Annual Jack McGuire Holiday Basketball Tournament, which is named for and honors a 10-year-old boy who died of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, the most common form of childhood leukemia.
The volunteer-run tournament benefits the Jack McGuire Memorial Scholarship Fund, which annually awards a $3,000 scholarship to a college-bound Hen Hud senior who has overcome an obstacle.
"Jack would have been a 10th-grader this year, so it's really Jack's friends that would have been volunteering to help remember Jack," said Greg Fucheck, director of the scholarship fund. "So, the high school students feel a sense of pride doing it and helping to remember their friend."
The tournament begins at 5 p.m. in the Hendrick Hudson High School Dome. All participants receive a T-shirt and a chance to win New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets tickets in a raffle. A $10 donation is suggested.
Hendrick Hudson High School is located at 2166 Albany Post Road, Montrose.
- 1 Lockdown Lifted At Hendrick Hudson High School
- 2 Hendrick Hudson High School Locked Down For Second Day In A Row
- 3 Croton Man Charged With DWI In Sprain Brook Parkway Stop
- 4 Cortlandt's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 5 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home