MONTROSE, N.Y. — Fifth to 10th grade Hendrick Hudson students will gather Friday evening for the 5th Annual Jack McGuire Holiday Basketball Tournament, which is named for and honors a 10-year-old boy who died of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, the most common form of childhood leukemia.
The volunteer-run tournament benefits the Jack McGuire Memorial Scholarship Fund, which annually awards a $3,000 scholarship to a college-bound Hen Hud senior who has overcome an obstacle.
"Jack would have been a 10th-grader this year, so it's really Jack's friends that would have been volunteering to help remember Jack," said Greg Fucheck, director of the scholarship fund. "So, the high school students feel a sense of pride doing it and helping to remember their friend."
The tournament begins at 5 p.m. in the Hendrick Hudson High School Dome. All participants receive a T-shirt and a chance to win New York Knicks or Brooklyn Nets tickets in a raffle. A $10 donation is suggested.
Hendrick Hudson High School is located at 2166 Albany Post Road, Montrose.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Cortlandt
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Removed From McDonald's Menu In Westchester
- 5 Sony Pulls Movie; Cortlandt Will Have To Wait On 'Interview'