WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y - You can take him to the park, send him a card or throw him a party. Regardless of how you celebrate, Sunday is the eighth annual National Dog Day.
Founded by the Animal Miracle Network, National Dog Day reminds pet owners to celebrate the invaluable role dogs play in humans' lives by honoring canines of all breeds -- from working dogs to family pets -- and encouraging pet parents to honor their Fidos, Fifis and Rovers.
Here are a few suggestions from the Animal Miracle Network on how to fete your pet:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
- Volunteer at a local shelter.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to a local pet shelter.
Or, you can provide him or her with a big, sloppy treat.
"We wanted to do something special to acknowledge the importance of dogs in our lives," said Deb Bennetts, dog lover, owner and president of Best Friends Pet Care. She added: "We know most dogs love ice cream, so we decided that giving away free ice cream to all our doggy friends would be a fun way to celebrate National Dog Day."
To celebrate this special dog day, Best Friends will give a free doggy ice cream treat – made from yogurt or soy in dog-friendly flavors, such as peanut butter, banana and honey -- to dogs visiting Best Friends in White Plains and Harrison. Canine guests must be on leash and accompanied by a human companion.
As for humans (whose appetite for ice cream is well known), no treats for you this time, but maybe your dog will treat you to a cone sometime soon – on National Human Day, perhaps?
- 1 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 2 Cortlandt Woman, 25, Is Charged With DWI
- 3 Man, Two Women, Charged In Jefferson Valley Mall Parking Lot Heroin Bust
- 4 Peekskill Man Stopped For Speeding Charged With DWI Under Leandra's Law
- 5 New York Archdiocese Likely To Merge More Parishes