MOHEGAN LAKE, N.Y. – The Hudson Valley Islamic Cultural Center (HVICC) in Mohegan Lake will mark Ramadan with several prayer services and activities today.
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Throughout Ramadan, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast. During this time, Muslims are called to reevaluate their lives in light of Islamic guidance, make peace with others and strengthen ties with family and friends.
Activities at the HVICC begin at 7 p.m. Isha and Taraweeh prayer begins Thursday at 10 p.m. Ramadan officially begins Friday.
Hundreds of worshipers are expected at the HVICC, which has occupied the former 50,000-square-foot former Franciscan High School on a 7-acre site on Lexington Avenue since 2006.
- 1 Cortlandt Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In Latest Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In Cortlandt
- 3 Firefighters Battle Peekskill Blaze That Displaces 13
- 4 Federal Agency Approves Controversial Algonquin Pipeline Expansion
- 5 Hudson Valley City Ranks Among Nation's Most Dangerous